Gangster Girl

Photo Credit


For a brief period during college I dated a guy who loves rap music. I could never get into it, but having listened to some of the songs over and over again I ended that relationship with a small repetoire of rap stored on a high shelf in the back of my brain. You can imagine what a surpise this was to my husband the first time I busted out with, "Well pimpin' ain't easy but it's necessary..." Not quite what he was expecting to hear from this white girl.

Just the other day I started singing to my kids, "Yo' momma's got a glass eye with a fish in it," and my husband rolled his eyes and said, "Why do you think it's so hilarious to rap?"

"Because I'm a gangster girl," was my quick answer.

"I think the very fact that you just said 'gangSter' girl, instead of 'gangsta' girl is significant," he wisely informed me.

Okay fine, rain on my parade. But since I was fixing dinner for my children in the kitchen of my suburban home when I started rapping, I think that "gangster girl" is probably the better descriptor for my particular skill set.

I think a lot of people have a hidden repeptoire of music lyrics that might only be revealed in the privacy of one's kitchen or when driving alone in your car. Besides my gangster moves, I can do Disney's Aerial, Sinead O'Connor, and Wilson Phillips like nobody's biz. But what do you sing in the shower?

Comments

  1. you crack me up. tell your danish architect that you are the epitome of a gangster girl :) ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we can gangster rap together anyday. i can do a mean snoop dog, some p-diddy and biggy smallz.
    maybe there is a market for this sort of thing?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't sing in the shower. I sing in the car. I think my closet repertoire might be Top 10 Hair Metal Ballads of the '80s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh so much. I think we will have to make you a mixed CD - Jeremy would love it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts