Too Much Frosting on My Cupcake

photo credit
I know that I just did a post on all the fun party ideas floating around in my head, but today I want to talk about the other side of that coin, namely that there is definitely such thing as too much fun.

My friend Michelle recently mentioned that sometimes she gets stuck in "party-mode," where she is constantly seeking entertainment. From friends. From the television. From the speakers at church! But it all gets to be too much, she said, like too much frosting on a cupcake. You know, when there's almost more frosting than there is cake!

Maybe some of you are thinking to yourselves that it would be lovely if "having too much fun" were your greatest problem in life. Yet for many people I think it's a minor problem that can lead to bigger issues. When I get stuck in party-mode, boulder hopping from one source of entertainment to the next, the most important areas of my life begin to suffer. By personality I am totally a Wemberly Worried. And when I was needlessly fretting over some of the particulars of my trip to Oregon last week my husband finally said, "Why are you worrying about that stuff. Stop it. Maybe you need to get back to work, and re-direct your thoughts and energy toward more productive things."

This gentle reprimand dove-tailed nicely with a post I read on C. Jane's blog. In short, when you don't fill your life- and your brain- with the important stuff, it leaves room for petty grievances, insecurities, and bored restlessness to move on in. It's just one of those disappointing facts of life that too much frosting will, in time, give you a sugar headache. And cavities. And probably spoil your dinner.

Comments

  1. I love this post! Especially the part about how if we don't fill our lives with the important things, we leave room for the much less important things. I've been thinking about this a lot lately! Thanks of the reinforcement. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts