Christmas Letter 2012

Thanks to our photographer, Ashley Michaelson 


The Gillespie Book Report, 2012

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
James is the youngest, the only boy, and he was born into a family with four “mothers.” When he cries the girls come running from all corners of the house…sometimes to comfort him, sometimes to laugh at the spectacle of his red screaming face. I can’t decide if his place in our family is a blessing or curse, but like all royalty I expect that he will be both admired and mocked for the remainder of his days. 

Chairman Mao Would Not Be Amused by Howard Goldblatt
Elisabeth turns four in a few weeks and we’re already impressed by the many ways her personality mimics that of a communist dictator. For additional reading, please see Tina Fey’s Bossypants.

The Ugly Duckling by Hans Christian Andersen
Over the years we’ve enrolled Kate in a series of gymnastics and dance classes only to despair at her bored indifference. This year we finally tried soccer. Without having a clear idea of all the rules, Kate leaped into the game and chased the ball like a well trained Labrador. Sometimes she trips, kicks it the wrong direction, or steals the ball from her teammates, but she LOVES it. And we love watching her bare her teeth at her opponents! After the first game her coach smiled and said to us, “I can teach the rules, but I can’t teach speed or aggression!”

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Ann Jacobs

Earlier this year when I was sick in my pregnancy we taught nine year old Madeleine how to make waffles. So, now she gets up early on Saturday, takes her sisters downstairs and plops them in front of cartoons, and then makes waffles and homemade syrup, which she sometimes presents to Jeremy and I on a tray. This is why you have children, people!


When I suggested to Jeremy the idea of using book titles to describe our year he said, “Sounds great. Obviously your book is The Mad Woman in the Attic.I smiled. Two can play this game. “So your book should be The Driest Place on Earth?” I countered.Seems appropriate after 14 weeks of bed rest, don’t ya’ think?” But since we agreed I couldn’t very well write that in a family letter, I’m resigned to allowing him Shel Silverstein’s The Giving Tree. Jeremy would give me the shirt of his back if it would make me feel better and metaphorically speaking, he went shirtless for much of 2012. And he only has two gray hairs to show for it! So, I guess the moral of the story is that many sacrifices were made to get our baby here safely, love and unselfishness have seen us through this difficult year, but most importantly, Jeremy’s on his way to becoming an old stump.

Merry Christmas to all of our wonderful friends and family, and happy reading!

Love,

The Gillespie Family

Comments

Popular Posts