Alone in the Kitchen


photo credit


I usually only bake cookies for two reasons. Either I'm getting ready for company, or I feel like getting away from the world for a little while, and my kitchen is one of the best places to do that. Today it's the second one. We're all coming down from the wedding weekend adrenaline punch, but after unpacking suitcases and switching batch after batch of laundry from washer to dryer, I finally drifted into the kitchen. As much as I love it when my kitchen is bursting with friends and family, an afternoon spent in quiet, solitary work is restoring in all the best ways. Kitchen noises are infinitely comforting. The clink of dishes. Running water. The patting sound as you shape a rough piece of dough into something beautiful. 

This is my sister Carolyn's recipe for Rolo Cookies. I've tried many recipes wearing the same name tag, but this recipe wins Grand Prize. Bon Appetit!


2 1/2 c flour (add an extra 1/4 cup for high altitude)
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 c butter, softened
2 eggs
2tsp vanilla
1 pkg rolos
2 T sugar
Combine sugars and butter until blended. Add eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and blend. Shape cookies into balls. Press unwrapped Rolo into center and cover with dough. Roll cookie in sugar. Bake on an ungreased sheet at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

Comments

Popular Posts